When you exceed a client’s expectations – that’s where customer service begins. How will you delight your clients? Going above and beyond what is expected will not only improve your client’s frequency of visit and willingness to refer new clients, but ultimately, your bottom line.
When it comes to customer service, a little bit goes a long way. In the salon and spa industry, clients want to feel welcomed, pampered, appreciated, listened to, and most of all, beautiful! Here are 5 customer service tips to help increase your customer retention, frequency of visit, and loyalty:
- Kindness – Smile! Be friendly! We know, it sounds cliché, but you’d be surprised how much a smiling face can make a client’s day. Don’t forget to wish your client a great day after check-out, and most importantly, say thank you! Kindness doesn’t just go for in-person interactions. Be pleasant on the phone, too. Front desk professionals are the first connection a client has with your business, so take advantage of the opportunity to woo them!
- Paying attention to details – Details, while small, can make a huge difference in making your clients feel special and important. Remembering life events, how a client likes her hair, and her favorite products and services, can make or break your client’s return. Use your software to keep a customer file filled with notes about all of your client’s visits, likes, and dislikes.
- Time management – It’s important to value your customer’s time, too. Always communicate how much time a service will take so clients can plan accordingly. If you’re running late, be sure to communicate with your next appointment. Consider offering them a complimentary add-on service while they wait.
- Communication – Always be upfront and honest with your clients. Whether you’ve booked a new client or a returning client trying a new service, be upfront about how much the services will cost that day. Does your client want to go from black to platinum blonde in one sitting? Be honest about meeting their expectations and what you can achieve in one appointment. Don’t forget to communicate with clients what products you are using (especially if you offer it for purchase) – they may buy it at check-out, ultimately increasing your ticket price.
- Keep in touch – Yes, something as simple as appointment reminders or “happy birthday” emails can make all the difference! Contact with your clients while they are not physically at your business will continue to strengthen your relationship and make them feel like they are part of something special.
Successful customer service takes advantage of each moment to make your clients feel cared for, so don’t miss the opportunity to keep them coming back! Are your client retention and FOV numbers lower than industry standards? Take the time to assess where your customer service may be lacking. You’d be surprised how much great (or terrible) customer service can affect your bottom line.
Want to Learn More?
There are many ways you can delight customers and enhance their overall experience. Sign up for our FREE live webinar on Tips to Improve Customer Service for even more ways to strengthen your customer relationships and add value to each visit. Register here and watch live on Monday, August 15th, 2016 @ 1pm ET.