As most of you know we have a new cloud based software called Meevo. We also still build and sell our flagship software Millennium which is an installed software. Recently it has been making me a little crazy that it seems that the #1 focus of so many salons is I MUST HAVE CLOUD! Cloud is great but don’t discount and not consider an installed software if it’s the right tool for the job. The first question when looking for software should be does this software provide tools to help me grow and motivate my staff? Does it fit my business and have the metrics that we believe are important? THEN you can take the choices that meet that criteria and decide on cloud vs installed. Many people are limiting themselves to cloud only so let me lay out some of the pros and cons:
– Easy to “install”
– Available anywhere, anytime
– Typically have cool mobile add-ons (but so does installed software)
– Data is backed up for you
– Internet goes down – you’re entire business is down
– Not as fast, typically, as an installed software
– Most (not Meevo) act like a website and don’t allow you to jump from feature to feature as needed to solve everyday problems and workflows
– You do not have access to your data directly. Many cloud systems will only give you partial data (and charge you for it) when you leave them
– Connecting to devices like cash drawers, credit card swipes, etc. is more difficult
Make a decision on what is the best software and who is the best company first. THEN, decide on cloud vs installed. If you have the computers already maybe installed is best for you and your business (speed, no reliance on the internet, and you own your data and nobody else can see it). If you are progressive and focused on using ipads keep in mind that many installed systems including Millennium have iPad apps. Also, using Remote Desktop application or an Web add-on you can still access your data 24/7 from home or on the road.
I am NOT against cloud. Cloud continues to be a focus for Millennium with our Meevo software. I am simply making a point that you’ve been marketed to so much about CLOUD that you’re convinced that’s the most important thing and quite frankly it’s not. The right software that produces the metrics you want, allows you to set goals, create client loyalty systems, and run your business the way a salon needs to run…that’s the right software.