Attracting the right type of new employees can be a difficult process. Between writing an honest and appealing job description and posting an alluring advertisement, hiring new employees may seem daunting. Crafting the perfect message will help you attract the most amount of potential candidates, and your new hires will know exactly what is expected of them on their first day.
Define the “Who”
Take the time to create an outline of your ideal candidate. Even the most skilled service provider may not be the best fit for your business if they don’t mesh will with your business culture. Some questions to consider before hiring:
- The skills that will add depth to your team?
- The skill set that will further the success of your business.
- The personality type that will fit best with your current employees.
- Qualities you are looking for in a new team member.
Once you have a clear picture of the type of candidate you are looking for, you can craft a job description surrounding not only the baseline duties, but also around qualities you want in a new employee. When writing a job description make sure to include job daily tasks, required skills, and necessary requirements to be successful in the position.
For a sample job description and guide for writing job advertisements, download our guide.
Craft the “What”
Now that you’ve determined what type of candidate you are looking for, the second step is creating an enticing job advertisement. Successful job advertisements sell your business first, and the position second. Be sure to include:
- A hook that will draw candidates to your job listing.
- Why your business is worth working for (room to grow, great atmosphere, etc.).
- What your business can offer the candidate (paid time off, medical benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc.).
A great job advertisement will help a candidate get a feel for your business and whether or not they are a good fit. Be honest and transparent about all you have to offer and what a new employee can expect on their first day.
Advertise (Beyond Craigslist)
While Craigslist is the most widely used platform to post job advertisements, there are better places to find candidates. Posts your job to at least 3 places for best results. Advertisement locations to consider:
- Local schools
- Professional job boards such as Indeed.com, Monster.com or CareerBuilder.com
- Local newspaper
- Your business website
- Your social media
For a more in-depth, step-by-step guide to writing job descriptions and advertisements, download our guide. This guide will provide every element necessary to start the hiring process, so you can grow your team with the best candidates possible.