In honor of Earth Day, we’ve created a list of tips any salon or spa can do to help the environment and your bottom line.
Start a Recycling Program
- Add a few trash cans for recycling and place them next to your regular trashcans to keep recycling top of mind (and easy to do).
- When offering coffee or water to your clients, switch to 100% post-consumer recycled products.
- Use Meevo 2’s Mobile Register to give your clients the option of receiving their receipt via email for a greener option!
Give Your Lighting an Upgrade
- Invest in energy-efficient LED lightbulbs. They use over 60 percent less energy and they last much longer than a traditional light bulb. “I haven’t changed a light bulb in a year,” explains James Alba, owner of the B Hive Salon in Hillsdale, NJ.
- Install motion sensors in the restrooms, supply rooms and break rooms to reduce energy usage (and your electric bill)!
Switch to Cold Water
- Turning the cold water in your washing machine to hot water is added expense. According to Money Crashers, switching from hot to cold water creates an annual cost savings of $136 on 400 loads. And is perfectly hygienic for cleaning towels or clothing.
- Try a natural detergent. It will reduce exposure to chemicals and can save a little green!
Other tips to consider:
- Replace paper towels in the restrooms with energy-efficient hand dryers
- Switch to natural cleaning products
- Offer a selection of sulfate-free shampoos or natural beauty products for more naturally-focused clients
- Use local products whenever possible. It builds great relationships within your community and supports other local businesses.
For more on the green movement, check out our Coffee Talk: The Business of Going Green with James Alba.